Friday, August 3, 2007

a desk of one's own

Well, my days as a serial monogamist are over. There has been a steady stream of dating, but I never met Ms. Forever. Until now. I recently asked my girlfriend to marry me, and she said yes. They say Capricorns are late bloomers, which may be true, as I didn’t get this relationship thing figured out till I was 52.

So after you ask a woman to marry you, and she says yes, there are some plans to be made. When we first started seeing each other, her 15 year old son was not too keen on the idea of his mother having a girlfriend. As matter of fact, I couldn’t even walk into the house when he was here. We have come a long way since then, but at the time, we were talking about not living together for four years-after her son went off to college.

As I have begun to spend more and more time at D’s house, we have bought some furniture and rugs together. A series of events this summer resulted in my staying here every night for over a month. We had been casually talking about my moving in around December or January. The other night, she said, “Why don’t you just move in now. Like October 1st.”

It’s always challenging to move in to someone else’s house, but we have come to recognize our venn diagram of taste in furniture. She has even agreed to let me paint ONE room white…well, off white. I now have a desk and computer over here, so I have one little spot that’s all mine, and I can feel my tastes migrating back to antique oak (from the mid-century blond and clean lines I came to love when I was in LA).

Sometime in the next couple of years, there will be a large party of some kind to celebrate the fact that I am “the freak ball she wants to spend the rest of her life with.” The where and what are still very much up in the air, but one thing I do know, I want faerose to make the cake!

5 comments:

deborahoak said...

judy, that is NOT the room you can paint white!!! I love that yellow and will probably never want it changed. The pumpkin dining room can be a pinky cream.

Glad you are veering back towards antique oak.

your mid century oakish girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, they're dropping like flies! Maybe now you can get someone to re-program Oak's router so it doesn't break down all the time--that would be progress! Good luck with it all...

Anonymous said...

Zowie!

Faerose said...

WOW HOW COOL!!

Good luck many happy moments. *Huge Smile*

Faerose said...

Oh.. I just read about the cake bit - maybe I'll finally have to make that long awaited trip to the US. :)